Friday, August 24, 2007

Being Employed by a College Christian Ministry

I have spent the past summer raising financial support for the next year. I applied for an internship with Campus Crusade for Christ, a college Christian ministry that I was heavily involved in when I was in college, and through which I saw immense growth in my faith and relationship with God. I enjoyed being a part of this ministry in college. I enjoyed talking to college students about important subjects, about subjects that we can't always see or know for certain through empirical means of this world, but subjects and thoughts and perspectives that we can only gain through belief, faith, and a force outside of ourselves. American college students are the most willing people in this world to talk about these things and to explore them, and I love that.

I have aspirations to be a teacher. My college degree was a BA in English. I love literature. I love writing. I love dissecting writing, even the bad kind. I love helping others learn how to communicate more effectively with the words they choose to speak and to write, and I love teaching others about the lessons, experience, warnings, and beauty about life that we can all learn from literature. I love teaching. I love forging relationships with young people, even when it's difficult, and I know it will be.

I have plans to go on to graduate school and obtain a Masters in Education, but I feel I'm called into this ministry for at least the next year. I suppose my long to teach and to do College ministry are intertwined somehow. Both do involve teaching and aiding to shape perspectives. Both involve creating relationships, even when it's difficult. Both involve spending time with people younger than me. Both involve being a major part of a young person's world. When I look at these things, these aspects of both jobs, that I love to do and that I feel that I am good at, I feel that it's no wonder God has called me into college ministry in the present and into teaching somewhere down the line. I am encouraged by this.

No comments: